Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Commonplaciana Manifesto

Although I have had a couple posts just to test drive this rig, I should set out what I intend by this blog. I can't say in advance everything to expect because I don't know them myself. I can be pretty certain of what I will not be doing: political commentary, Christian apologetics, or really deep thinking. There are others who do it so much better than I possibly could. I will link to them when I come across something memorable. My favorites are in the Blogroliana (I know this -iana thing can be overdone; I promise to restrain myself).

A commonplace book is a place to collect, contrary to its name, those things that are anything but commonplace. Hence, the contents of a commonplace book are commonplaciana. They are those things we encounter daily and almost as quickly forget –

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;

Lest it seem a frivolous enterprise, especially in light of my invitation to explore and celebrate the “rose-moles all in stipple”, let me say I know our pilgrimage is serious business because we are making eternal choices. But having chosen the Way, the Truth and the Life, it is fitting to examine and enjoy the marvels that He has strewn along our path. After all, He Himself “shall drink of the brook by the wayside.” Why shouldn’t we?

No comments:

Post a Comment