Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jesus and His Brothers

The story of Joseph is one of my favorites in the Bible because it is so human. I especially enjoy the scene in chapter 45 in which Joseph, after having dismissed all the Egyptians, revealed his identity to his brothers. But his brothers were too dismayed by his royal presence to comprehend it. What follows is especially tender:

And Joseph said to his brothers, "Please come near to me." So they came near. Then he said: "I am Joseph your brother, whom you sold into Egypt.” v. 4.

I once heard a commentator say that Joseph showed him the sign of his circumcision, which they would understand never to be possible for an Egyptian satrap. We don’t know what he really did but clearly they believed him.

Signs and wonders are the currency of the Lord. The Bible shows without detail that the Jews will someday rule the earth with Jesus as Lord and King. I can imagine at some future time Jesus calling them all and saying, “Please come near to me. I am Jesus your brother, whom you crucified.”

Lest anyone think I am engaging in anti-Semitic, God-killer rant, consider v.5:

"But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life.”

We are all guilty of the crucifixion and death of Jesus for so we proclaim every Good Friday. The Jews were merely our proxy. What we all intended for evil, God intends for good. Jesus banishes Death and gives Life.

Jesus will make some persuasive revelation of Himself and His forgiveness to them. Signs and wonders that they will believe as they did not in the past and do not now. Then perhaps we will all see how gloriously the wall of separation between us is broken down. (Eph 2:11-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment